New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

win loss percentage

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

win loss percentage

Postby mikee » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:59 am

i am trying to work out a win loss percentage but also taking into account the amount of games available in each season, not all players will play every week .
the normal games played games won percentage does not work due to some players playing less games for example player 1 has played 10 games and won 9 so is on 90% player 2 has played 1 won 1 is on 100%

if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great

thanks mike

mikee
Rookie

Excel Version: excel 2010

Re: win loss percentage

Postby pecoflyer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the board

And what are you trying to achieve?

A relevant topic title helps get faster and more answers
pecoflyer

Excel Version: 2003/2007/2010

Postby mikee » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:07 am

trying to show the true win/loss percentage surely a player that has only played 1 game should not be on a higher percentage than a player that has played 10 games

mikee
Rookie

Postby ManxXL » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 am

1 win out of 1 match = a 100 % win rate
9 wins out of 10 matches = a 90% win rate

If you want to produce a rating which takes the number of matches played into consideration, or any other criteria you choose to use, you'll need to amend your formula rather than just use a simple percentage.

ManxXL
Regular

Excel Version: 2010

Postby gebobs » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:00 am

Typically, what is done in sports stats is to have a minimum cutoff, say 5 games played for example in this case, to be eligible for ranking. Thus something along the lines of:
Code: Select all
=if(GP>=5,WINS/GP,"")

gebobs
Regular

Excel Version: 2010

Postby mikee » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am

i realise that a simple percentage formula cannot be used as it needs to be factored by the amount of games played

the league i am dealing with is a weekly league in which teams play 5 singles matches against usually 9 other teams so there is a possibility of 18 games per season , now a team may have more than 5 players so with this it works that not all players play the same amount of games per season.

now to show a true win /loss percentage it must take into account the fact that some players have played a lot more games than others and would be unfair on a player that has played 10 games and won 9 to be on a lesser percentage than that of a player that has played 1 game and won 1 , there would be a leaderboard and play off at the end of the season and surely the better player would be the player that has played 10 games as he has had the most chances of losing than the player that has only played 1 game

so far as i can see there are 3 criteria

amount of games played
amount of games won
amount of games available each season

mikee
Rookie

Return to General Excel Questions