New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Scheduling and Linking the Workbooks

Macros, VBA, Excel Automation, etc.

Scheduling and Linking the Workbooks

Postby dglslewis1021616 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Currently I have created a schedule for a small group of people and want to link the 2 wookbooks. 1- master Schedule and 2 Employee schedule as read only that cannot be altered. Also changes need to be in real time, we have had some success but then after a few months the color and changes are not occuring.

dglslewis1021616
Rookie

Re: Scheduling and Linking the Workbooks

Postby Don » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of ways to 'link' workbooks. Can you be more specific with exactly what data you want to be linked between the worksheets and how you need that data to be linked?

Generally though, the easiest way to get data from one workbook to another (on a smaller scale at least) is to have both files open at the same time, go to one and start typing a formula, then select the desired cell from the other workbook and complete the formula in the first workbook.

Don

Excel Version: 2010

Re: Scheduling and Linking the Workbooks

Postby Sisyphus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:04 am

Hi,

The cure for formulas (or code?) that used to work and don't any more should be looked for in those formulas (or the code) or in the system changes made since inauguration. Basically, whatever system of linking you have, has worked once and should still work.

With regard to "real time" you may like to review your requirements:-
If an Employee copy is open you will have great difficulty updating it without the help of the user who is looking at it. If the Employee copy isn't open, why should you want to update it? So, "real time" means that the copy is updated when it is opened. However, if you are thinking of revampingyour system, you may like to look at the possibilities offered by file Sharing. All the problems that come with having linked copies disappear if there are no copies to update, and I'm sure there must be ways to restrict access to read-only on a shared workbook.

Have a great day! :D

Have a great day! :D

Sisyphus
I do this for "honour and country" - much less of the latter, actually.
If I helped you, award points, plenty of them.
If I bored you, deduct points for being too long-winded. (I know, :lol)
Sisyphus
Former Moderator

Excel Version: 2010

Return to Macros and VBA Questions