New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Data is replaced in linked cell i need it to be preserved

Macros, VBA, Excel Automation, etc.

Data is replaced in linked cell i need it to be preserved

Postby zach » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:37 am

Hello, im kinda new to excel and programming and im a bit over my head at a work term for school and could really use some help. Im creating a new work order system for a company, im doing it in excel because i have basic knowledge of excel and none of access or other database software. I understand their may be better ways to do this but this is how im doing it for now.
My trouble lies in the fact that my initial sheet for an operator to enter their work order is linked to my master sheet. The operator (source) sheet is a series of drop downs and a description box. Each drop down box is linked to my mastersheet and it automatically updates onto the mastersheet when a drop down is selected. The killing point is that every time i change the data in the source sheet it replaces the data from before. I have experimented with macros looking for the last used cell and selecting that one but so far nothing has worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zach
Rookie

Excel Version: 2013

Re: Data is replaced in linked cell i need it to be preserved

Postby NoSparks » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:51 am

My trouble lies in the fact that my initial sheet for an operator to enter their work order is linked to my master sheet.

Exactly, that's what the link does.
Don't have a linked cell assigned to the drop-down, do everything with your macro.

NoSparks
Excel Hobbyist

Excel Version: 2010

Return to Macros and VBA Questions