New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

VBA Coding to check range against input and edit specific cell corresponding to that entry

Macros, VBA, Excel Automation, etc.

Re: VBA Coding to check range against input and edit specific cell corresponding to that entry

Postby sintek » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi NoSparks

Thanks for reply. Yes when entering bogus data into Database the code works.

However, problem is when I enter data into WorkSheet("JOB INFO FORM") to populate my other worksheets i.e. Worksheet 3 through 7. This is how my business is set up.

My WorkSheet("Invoice") is how I populate my Database and when i click on "SEND TO DATA" the info automatically populates my WorkSheet("Database").

So now that I've got my database populated, I want to transact a payment and that's when I When I click on "PAYMENTS" in WorkSheet("Database") and enter the ref no which is in Cell("A3")
TextBox1 = 1 and not 3 as per the info in Cell("A3")

Scenario:

I input a invoice no "1006" into "printer order" no in cell("G4") on WorkSheet3(Job Info form"). This info goes to Cell(F4") on WorkSheet5("Invoice"). When I press "Send To Data" the "1006" goes to WorkSheet1.("DATABASE").

Now when I When I click on "PAYMENTS" in WorkSheet("Database") and enter the ref no which is in Cell("A3") i.e 1006,
and enter a payment amount to process, TextBox1 = 1 and not 3 as per the info in Cell("A3") nand therefore the calculation to deduct from balance does not work.

Hope this makes sense.

sintek
Rookie

Excel Version: 2007

Re: VBA Coding to check range against input and edit specific cell corresponding to that entry

Postby NoSparks » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 pm

If I unprotect your DATABASE sheet so that the SEND TO DATABASE button will actually write to the DATABASE sheet,
then follow your senerio exactly,
TextBox1 reads 3, which is correct.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NoSparks
Excel Hobbyist

Excel Version: 2010

Postby sintek » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:41 am

Hi NoSparks

Thanks for assistance. Unfortunately, it still has no effect.

I have however changed this string of code:

Code: Select all
.TextBox1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(CLng(Me.Reg1), Sheet1.Range("A:A"), 0)

to

.TextBox1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(CLng(Me.Reg1), Sheet1.Range("A:A"), 1)

and it works perfectly.

Thank you

sintek
Rookie

Postby sintek » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:02 am

Hi NoSparks

If I use a alphanumeric invoice no then my code does not work i.e If Me.Reg1 = A1234 and not 1234

.TextBox1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(CLng(Me.Reg1), Sheet1.Range("A:A"), 1)

I am learning slowly but surely

sintek
Rookie

Postby NoSparks » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

Up 'til now your REF NO has been a number, now it isn't a number, it contains more than just numeric characters, it's now a string.

The MATCH function is for numbers.
The CLng was required in what to MATCH in order to coerce the textbox Reg1 value to a number rather than text.

To find the row containing the REF NO string I'd use the Range.Find method.

http://www.globaliconnect.com/excel/ind ... Itemid=475
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 39746.aspx

Would you like to see why what you thought was the wrong number was being displayed in Textbox1 ?

Using the attached file I've unprotected the DATABASE sheet, UNMERGED THE CELLS of row 1 and moved your shapes off to the side.
Go to your INVOICE sheet and click SEND TO DATABASE once, then view the DATABASE sheet to see what happens.

I suspect you'll want to change the Button2_Click code as that's not what you want.

Would also be beneficial to have a look at the Excel/VBA Golden Rules

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NoSparks
Excel Hobbyist

Excel Version: 2010

Postby sintek » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 am

Hi NoSparks

Thanks a mil for all your assistance. Will look into Range.Find method and Button2_Click code.

sintek
Rookie

Previous

Return to Macros and VBA Questions