New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Hyperlinks, Zero Values, Plotting only values > '0'

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Hyperlinks, Zero Values, Plotting only values > '0'

Postby tamarina » Tue May 24, 2016 2:04 pm

I have a graph that is automated to update based on entries on a separate workbook using a hyperlink. I need to add an 'if' statement formula to each cell that returns a '0.0%' because the data has not yet been entered on the referenced workbook so that it returns a blank instead of a '0.0%'. The graph shows production numbers and since it's automated for future dates, my boss thinks I'm forecasting zeros. :(

I tried =IF(A1=0,"",referenced workbook), but that still returned '0.0%'. I tried =IF(A1=0,"",FALSE) and =IF(A1=0,'N/A') nothing has worked so far. I still get the '0.0%'.

I'd like to maintain the automation, but return a blank cell when the hyperlink returns '0.0%' so that the graph does not plot the zeros.

tamarina
Rookie

Excel Version: 2013

Re: Hyperlinks, Zero Values, Plotting only values > '0'

Postby tamarina » Tue May 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Apparently, I was missing a few key pieces in my formula. Here is what worked:

=IF(referenced workbook=0,NA(),referenced workbook)

I was using the cell itself (A1) instead referencing the linked workbook in my original tries. Once I used the linked workbook and remembered to put the '()' in after the 'NA', it returned the result #NA which does not plot on my graph.

I also tested the linked worksheet with newly input data to ensure that when it is NOT '0' it returns the new number (or live data). It worked!

tamarina
Rookie

Excel Version: 2013

Return to General Excel Questions