New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Editing a formula that links a calendar within the spreadsheet

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Editing a formula that links a calendar within the spreadsheet

Postby 50+ still learning » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:05 am

Hello, I would consider myself a novice excel user. I know it's a very powerful tool but I've only cracked the surface in learning to use it. I am trying to understand a formula in a spreadsheet so that I can edit it. The formula is
Code: Select all
=IF(MONTH(StartDate)<>MONTH(StartDate-StartDOW+Week*7+Wday-1),"",StartDate-StartDOW+Week*7+Wday-1)
. It is from a time sheet used by my old company and the creator is no longer around to ask questions of. The company I used to work for was bought out and closed down and now several of us are working together again with a new company and would like to use the time sheet or create one similar. The problem is the the old company work week started and ended on a different day than this one, so I need to change the formula to reflect that. But I also don't really understand how the formula links the calendar in the spreadsheet to the drop down cell choice either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

50+ still learning
Rookie

Excel Version: 2016

Re: Editing a formula that links a calendar within the spreadsheet

Postby pecoflyer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 am

Hi and welcome to the board

Could you eventually post a sample sheet containing this formula? There seems to be some named ranges.

Thanks

A relevant topic title helps get faster and more answers
pecoflyer

Excel Version: 2003/2007/2010

Re: Editing a formula that links a calendar within the spreadsheet

Postby 50+ still learning » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you for the welcome and any suggestions or help you can give. I am trying to understand how excel works in relation to the "If" statements and a calendar. I can do very simple formula's and am learning more each time I use it in a different way. I could just clear the formula and still utilize it but I really want to understand it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
50+ still learning
Rookie

Excel Version: 2016

Return to General Excel Questions