New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Can't Use Macros/looking for another solution

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Can't Use Macros/looking for another solution

Postby mriddick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:44 pm

My team has a personnel schedule that manages about 90 people across 9 work centers (8 primary and 1 filled by members of the other work centers).

I had a macro that would hide all the team members not included in work center 9 which allowed for those team members to be populate their schedule, then the macro would unhide all personnel allowing the primary work center supervisors to track their personnel within their work center fulfilling duties in work center 9. Basically the members need to be listed under their primary work center but the manager of the 9th work center needs to be able to easily populate the schedule for each of their team members as well.

My employer will no longer allow the use of macros as a result of the security concerns (someone placing a virus or malware in the macro).

1) Is there a mirror formula that will carry formatting (conditional)/text input/comments etc?
So we would have work center 9 personnel in their primary workcenters but mirror their schedule in another sheet?

2) Is there a search function that could be used to pull the workers and the rows associated with their schedule?

In the attachment sheet 1 shows the employees under their primary work centers and sheet 2 shows only them under work center 9. The idea would be to populate these members on sheet 2 and have it populate their blocks on sheet 1. Or run a search function that only displayed the workcenter 9 members.

I already looked into tables with filters but that doesn't work with the merged cells we use.

TIA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mriddick
Rookie

Excel Version: 2003

Re: Can't Use Macros/looking for another solution

Postby gebobs » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 am

Merged cells nearly always cause more problems than they are worth so it's generally advisable to avoid them. Also, I would suggest making the work center another field instead of a header separating the data.

I kind of understand the work center dynamic, but don't get what you are populating in the fields (specifically the two cells associated with each merged employee) or what conditional formatting/comments you need.

It appears that you have identified each employee that doubles in Work Center 9 with an asterisk preceding their name. Perhaps that was just done for illustration.

I don't really understand enough about your sheet, but in my opinion it may need a bit of a rethink/overhaul.

gebobs
Regular

Excel Version: 2010

Return to General Excel Questions