New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Moving data without the formula

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Moving data without the formula

Postby debnnbob » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:10 pm

I am building a database that I will use to rate a specific task with a 1 thru 5. I also want to average accumulated ratings input over time for the same task.

My plan was to have for instance cell A1 as the main entry cell. B1, I marked as "=A1". Now I want to move the entry from B1 into another section of the worksheet but I want the formula in "=B2" to remain in B2. So for instance I might have a 5 in A1, and with the formula a 5 now in B1, but I want to move the number to C1 with a cut and past or a new column inserted for B. Allowing me to enter a new number in A1 that would show in B1 but C1 would remain the first number entered. Is there a way to lock the formula to B2 and still be able to move data from that cell?
I'm lost and need expert help with something probably very simple but not for me. Thanks in advance....

debnnbob
Rookie

Re: Moving data without the formula

Postby Ourpat1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 pm

debnnbob wrote:I am building a database that I will use to rate a specific task with a 1 thru 5. I also want to average accumulated ratings input over time for the same task.

My plan was to have for instance cell A1 as the main entry cell. B1, I marked as "=A1". Now I want to move the entry from B1 into another section of the worksheet but I want the formula in "=B2" to remain in B2. So for instance I might have a 5 in A1, and with the formula a 5 now in B1, but I want to move the number to C1 with a cut and past or a new column inserted for B. Allowing me to enter a new number in A1 that would show in B1 but C1 would remain the first number entered. Is there a way to lock the formula to B2 and still be able to move data from that cell?
I'm lost and need expert help with something probably very simple but not for me. Thanks in advance....

Use edit-copy-edit-paste specials-values..only the data will be copied..........no formula

Pat S
Savage

Ourpat1
Rookie

Re: Moving data without the formula

Postby debnnbob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:09 pm

thanks for the quick fix. Bob

debnnbob
Rookie

Return to General Excel Questions