New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Averaging multiple single entries

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Averaging multiple single entries

Postby debnnbob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 am

I need to create a worksheet that would have two viewable cells only one of which would be changable. The other would be a cumulative average of the first cell entries. This is to be a rating sheet. With the possible entries in the first cell to be between the numbers one to five. The sheet needs to be cumulative over time, retaining the entries and displaying an average of the entries. Thanks for the help!

debnnbob
Rookie

Re: Averaging multiple single entries

Postby Don » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:50 am

Have you tried to get this started yet? Can you include a sample or mock-up of what you are trying to do? Are you wanting a button to use to enter the ratings? You really haven't provided much information. I can help you do what you need, but it seems like you're not sure yet about what you actually need.

Don

Excel Version: 2010

Re: Averaging multiple single entries

Postby debnnbob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:30 am

Don wrote:Have you tried to get this started yet? Can you include a sample or mock-up of what you are trying to do? Are you wanting a button to use to enter the ratings? You really haven't provided much information. I can help you do what you need, but it seems like you're not sure yet about what you actually need.

You are correct, the information is sketchy.
Below is a start of what I am working toward. I have tried several things (my skill level) but always end up with a problem. The idea is to access this sheet multilpe times and type a given number in the column for "new job rating". Have the sheet accumulate the ratings and average the ratings in column marked "Avg. Rating". The accumulated amount could be 10 or 100. I have tried moving the "new ratings" column elsewhere, doing the caluculation, bringing back the average. However, I do not know how to select the next available column for the next entry. For instance I have moved the entries in D6 for instance to AA6. Averaged columns AA6 thru AZ6 and entered that number in C6. However when the next entry in D6 is made for the second entry, it would need to move to AB6 to be in the range for averaging but I cannot figure out how to auto select the next column, then the next on the third entry etc. Sorry, I hope I have not muddied the waters even worse with this explaination.

A B C D
Question
Number CONTRACTOR RATING Avg. New Job
Rating Rating

Type the Company Name here & Sheet Name
Type typical jop here ie: A/C Repair
3 Number of Estimates #DIV/0! 5
4 Did the work begin when told it would #DIV/0! 1
5 Was Invoice what estimate said #DIV/0!
6 Contractor Appearance #DIV/0!
7 Did Contractor clean up #DIV/0!

debnnbob
Rookie

Return to General Excel Questions