New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Excel File Size

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Excel File Size

Postby annelee980 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:20 am

I have a very large Excel file that I am building, including over 33K rows, formulas, macros, etc - the file size is around 25,000 KB. It seemed to be working fine - I was finished with the workbook that was for January data and then tried to do a file, save as to create a copy for the February, etc data.

Then everything went bad... I was able to copy Feb and Mar, but now Excel does not want to save any of the three files and I cannot move on to April, etc. I can get into each file, but it is very slow opening, I can change data, but not save, and it will no longer automatically calculate, even though the option is set to automatic. All files are running very slow and I get the "Excel is not responding" error whenever I try to save. .

I have tried to delete macros, but that does not change the file size significantly. I have tried deleting unused rows and columns. I have tried to copy the sheet to a new file, but get the "not resp" error again. Do you have any idea what is causing this, and more importantly, how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

annelee980
Rookie

Re: Excel File Size

Postby Don » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

This is all happening due to the amount of data that you have in Excel. Empty rows and macros (unless you have some insanely huge macros) are not going to cause this issue. Also, your files are probably still automatically calculating and can still be saved, but it will take forever to do either thing.

There are a number of more specific reasons the file may be running slow, such as a lot of array functions or links to other workbooks etc., but you'd have to include a sample of the file here in order for us to know for sure.

Basically, the easiest way to get around this, without seeing the file, is to break the workbook up into smaller chunks or to get a faster computer.

Don

Excel Version: 2010

Return to General Excel Questions