New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Solved - Excel 2007 - graphs not updating when source data changes

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Solved - Excel 2007 - graphs not updating when source data changes

Postby mikmakwally » Thu May 24, 2012 3:01 am

All

I've seen a few people asking a similar question on different sites, but the only resolution seems to have been by VBA code which I don't know how to use. This file has taken 3 days of work and but is useless unless these graphs update smoothly for the user! I was hoping one of you guys might take pity and help, espeically if you've heard of this before?

I've created a dashboard which should allow a user to specify a time period (data validation), which updates a data table from which 7 graphs read from. The data table itself updates correctly when I change the time period, but the graphs which read from this table of data do not update.

I can't even get them to update by cutting them and pasting them again, the only way seems to be to save and close excel and open it again, and then they are updated with the new time period. Excel_quirk_frustration.com !

If the ONLY solution is some kind of macro, is it possible to record it manually, i.e. press record and then do the actions myself and then stop recording?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mikmakwally on Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikmakwally
Rookie

Excel Version: Excel 2007

Re: Excel 2007 - graphs not updating when source data changes

Postby Don » Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Not sure if this matters in this situation, but do you have the formula calculation set to automatic? Go to the Formula tab and, on the far right, click Calculation Options and make sure the check-mark is next to Automatic. Additionally, how large is the spreadsheet in terms of number of formulas/calculations or actual disk space?

Also, if you end up needing a macro, I think that the one to solve your problem is really easy to write and also to use.

Don

Excel Version: 2010

Postby mikmakwally » Fri May 25, 2012 2:56 am

Hi Don

Thanks very much for the response. Confirm the calculations are set to automatic - Ive also been trying to set to manual and F9, Shift + F9 and CTRL + Shift + F9 all to no avail - the data table recalculates just fine, but the graphs do not update accordingly. Except when i save close and re open excel.

If this macro is very easy to use, would you mind giving me brief instruction? I know how to get vba open off the developer tab, but thats about it.

Cheers
Mike

mikmakwally
Rookie

Postby pecoflyer » Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 am

Cross post http://www.excelforum.com/excel-2007-help/833969-excel-2007-graphs-not-updating-when-source-data-does.html

A relevant topic title helps get faster and more answers
pecoflyer

Excel Version: 2003/2007/2010

Postby mikmakwally » Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 am

solved - had to shut down entire machine (not just excel ) and restart. Why this helps I have no idea.......

mikmakwally
Rookie

Return to General Excel Questions