New Excel Forum

This forum has been moved to TeachExcel.com

Ask all future questions in the New Excel Forum.

ExcelKey

Copy_paste special

Formulas, Functions, Formatting, Charts, Data Analysis, etc.

Copy_paste special

Postby Natasha_4 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I cannot copy_paste special between workbooks. When I try to do this, Excel thinks I'm trying to copy and paste an object and I get a drop down with object type choices. I use Excel 2003. Everyone else in my group can do this with no problem, both within a single instance of Excel and between two separate instances. We all have the same Excel and the same computers. What setting do I need to change and is it in Excel or on the computer itself, which is a Dell? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Natasha_4
Rookie

Re: Copy_paste special

Postby k0st4din » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 am

Hi Natasha_4 and welcome to the forum
generally should not have a problem with this option in excel. But sometimes, and I happened to open two excel and this option if I was stuck, and then close vdete workbooks open them again and received. Another thing comes to mind is to not accidentally not activated office suite!? By attaching this last thing you want to copy, we try to copy it.
Merry Christmas

So ...
1. *Consider well what is your wish.
2. *Make a sample table
3. *Describe in detail what you want to happen is to be understood, not only by yourself.
4. And if you help someone else who needs help. :) ;)
k0st4din
Excel Junkie

Excel Version: 2003, 2007

Postby Natasha_4 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:52 am

Thank you, k0st4din. I've tried opening and closing again, restarting the computer, doing a hard reboot, even had a clean reinstall of Excel, still can't do it. Unfortunately, this is a work problem, and I cannot attach anything I'm working on, since it is all confidential and proprietary. I'm convinced it is a setting, either in Excel on on the computer itself, but our IT person hasn't found it yet. Anyone else? Happy Christmas and Merry New Year to all!

Natasha_4
Rookie

Postby Don » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:09 am

Are you trying to copy and paste from workbooks that are both saved to your computer? If not, save them to your computer's hard drive and then try it.

Don

Excel Version: 2010

Postby Sisyphus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:34 am

Hi,
Perhaps a more pragmatic approach will bring us nearer to a solution which, in this case, might come with understanding what is going on.

1. You don't have any problem while copying (a) from one end of a sheet to the other and (b) from one worksheet to another within the same workbook. Please test and confirm.
2. You have the problem whenever you copy from one workbook to another. Always? No exceptions? If there are exceptions you should try to find reasons for why they are excepted.
3. You do NOT have a problem with Copy / Paste in any of the above cases. Please test and confirm.
4. You do have a problem with Copy / Paste Special and there are no exceptions within the boundaries established above. Correct?
5. If so, what are you copying? We need enough information about the nature of the data to think about why Excel should think that they are an object. Is the data volume big or small, a few lines or large sheets? Are there pictures in the data? What is the purpose of the Paste Special operation?
6. So, Excel is thinking that you want to paste an object. Is there a function for objects to be "Pasted special"? Can you post a screenshot of the dialog box you get to see? Have you identified the process to which that box belongs?

If you have made sure that your Excel is healthy and think that you can exclude viral actitivty then the place to look is probably the registry. I have a registry cleaner which, by its own acclaim, regularly fixes thousands of errors in my registry without the slightest bit of improvement on the part of my PC's performance. I doubt that such a gadget would find the source of your troubles - if it is in the registry. But if we can find out why Excel thinks of your innocent pastes as objects that might prompt some Regedit expert to point his finger at least in a general direction if not the precise line that might cause this wrong assessment.

I think Excel is a lot like children. They don't really make you happy, but life is, sure enough, awful without them, and God forbid that they should be sick. :D
Enjoy your Excel!

Have a great day! :D

Sisyphus
I do this for "honour and country" - much less of the latter, actually.
If I helped you, award points, plenty of them.
If I bored you, deduct points for being too long-winded. (I know, :lol)
Sisyphus
Former Moderator

Excel Version: 2010

Return to General Excel Questions